Living Your Dream
by Lysa TerKeurst

If you've been reading this magazine for very long, you've hopefully picked up on one truth about me, I'm very ordinary. I have faults and struggles that weave in and out of my pursuit of a life of faith and obedience to God. I heard Naomi Judd recently say that she has finally made peace with being a woman of faith who sometimes has issues, by recognizing that she is a spiritual being who sometimes has flesh moments. Boy can I relate!

Yes, I am an ordinary woman. Dirty dishes, piles of laundry, unorganized drawers, carpool schedules, overgrown cuticles, and cellulite are the realities of life that greet me each and every day. But there is something else that greets me, that most days wakes me up with a smile on my face and peace in my heart. I have discovered the purpose for which God created me and I am living out the dreams He tucked in my heart.

God created me to be a wife, mother and friend. But He also created me to speak His truth and inspire others to live a life that makes a difference for Christ. There is such joy in living out this dream. Life is an amazing adventure when you take the hand of God and go wherever, and do whatever, He tells you. What is your dream? What has God tucked inside your heart that when someone brings up that topic you feel your pulse quicken and your mind start racing with thoughts of "what if," "if only," and "maybe one day."

My friends, the day to start your adventure toward the dreams God put in your heart is today. The path toward a fulfilled dream is filled with ordinary days surrendered to the extraordinary power of God. The minute you say, "I can't," is the minute you put up a roadblock and deny God's ability to overcome anything in you and through you. If we say we want to live lives of faith, but our lives require very little faith, then we are in a spiritual crisis that must be addressed.

God has given us everything we need to live the lives He created us to live - dreams and all. Second Peter 1:3-4 says, "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."

Isn't that encouraging! God has given us everything we need. Not just some of what we need and we have to get the rest on our own. Not just part of what we need and we have to fill in the gaps with our own strategizing … no! God has given us everything we need through the gifts and talents He's entrusted to us, the people He put around us, the place He's called us to live in, and most of all through His spirit in us that leads us daily.

And make no mistake, these very great and precious promises - the dreams of our heart - are not there to make us feel significant and important once we reach them. We are significant and important simply because we are children of the most High God. These dreams are in our hearts so that as we pursue them, we have the privilege of participating in God's divine nature. In other words, we start experiencing God like never before. We start living in expectation of seeing Him and His activity around us.

Matthew 5:8 says, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." This doesn't mean you will see God only if you are super spiritual and never mess up. It doesn't say blessed is the perfect woman with a tidy heart, home and fingernails. No, it says you will be blessed when you so desire God that you wake up every morning and pray, "God I want to see you. God I want to hear you. God I want to know you. God I want to follow hard after you and become all that you designed me to be."

Living your dream will seem very daily at times. But that's how dreams come true … one step at a time, one decision at a time, one day at a time. Determine to follow God in each moment that comes your way. Look for those open doors that He will surely bring across your path and walk through them. Listen carefully to His voice and go where He tells you. Surround yourself with godly friends who can give you wise counsel and who will pray for you. Share your dream with your family and let them participate in the divine adventure you are embarking on.

And hold fast to God's Word, His instruction manual … your love letter of inspiration, correction and promise. "For this reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ (2 Peter 1:5-8).

I am living proof that it is possible to be an ordinary woman, empowered by an extraordinary God, who lives her dream. May it be so for you as well.

Rejoicing in His Amazing Love,

Lysa

Labels:



2 Comments:

Blogger jeannie said...

Hi Lysa,

I loved this devotion and shared it with my daughters. It is a great reminder that receiving our dreams is not to make us happy necessarily, but rather to receive God's blessing for us and to share his love.

Blogger Cindy said...

A friend of mine sent me the link to this post using some of my favorite verses of the Bible.
Thank you for your ministry to women. God has given me a heart that yearns for wholeness and healing for women through God's mercy and grace.

God truly has given us everything we need for life and godliness. He has provided for our every need and His provision comes to us a as direct result of knowing Him intimately. What a God we serve! He leaves nothing out. He is always loving and providing.

To God be the glory and honor and praise,
Cindy

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits