Dear Bathroom Scale...
Lysa TerKeurst

You are no longer my friend. There are two fundamental rules to being my friend and well ... you've officially messed things up.


First, you have been saying unkind things to me lately. I mean, hello?! ... I visit with you every morning. I invest time in our relationship. I'm quite considerate of you. I work out and watch what I eat ... kind of. All I need is a few words of encouragement. A few, I tell you ... is that too much to ask?


But no, during our last month of visits you just keep being rude and flashing numbers that quite simply bum me out.


Second, you can't seem to keep a secret to save your life. Those two brownies I ate yesterday ... okay, maybe more than two ... but I asked you to keep that a secret.


But noooooo, missy prissy, you just had to tell the whole bathroom this morning about the upward movement of the numbers.


I really wanted to like you. But, alas, I think we must break up. I 'm moving on to bigger and better things.

No, wait, not bigger ... smaller and better things.

Yes, and if I ever find them, maybe we can be friends again. From now on, instead of standing on you, I will stand on the truth of God.

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast the sum of them!” (Psalm 139: 13-17, NIV)


A note from Lysa…


Unfortunately, January has been tagged as the great weight loss month. Well, not like an official holiday or anything. But it is the month that women everywhere set great goals, hit the gym with a renewed passion and start standing on their scales with high hopes for low numbers.
None of this is bad. Goals are good. Getting in shape is good. Getting to a healthy weight is good. But take it from someone who has seen the scale go both up and down … our weight is only a measure of our outer shell. The scale can’t measure our worth.


No matter what you weigh, God sees you as valuable, lovely, significant and worthy.
And until we believe that we’ll never be satisfied. Even if we reach that ultimate weight and fit back into our skinny jeans. We’ll still feel restless and unsatisfied without Jesus’ truth being the only thing with which we measure ourselves.

For more encouragement, visit Lysa’s blog

Labels:



5 Comments:

Blogger JazzyTurtle said...

I loved this article. I'm on Weight Watchers as well and have been for several years. I'm not at my weight goal they set for me and I've never been there but I just keep moving forward. Thank you for the encouragement and I really love the devotions I receive from you all.

Peace, Love, & God Bless,
Shelon

Blogger texasmommy said...

I really enjoyed this article. I smiled while reading the conversation with the scale. I know I have thought those word to myself, of course I would not speak them out loud....my husband would think I was crazy. :) Anyhow, I have been trying my best to get these last 20 lbs off. My daughter will be one in 6 weeks. I feel like my excuse of this being left over baby weight is coming to a close. The scale has gone up and down with the same 5 lbs for the past 2 months. Oh..how disheartening it is to see the scale go up after you really have worked out hard and tried your best to eat right! I'm glad I read this and reminded myself of where my real WORTH comes from. It doesn't come from the scale...Praise God! Thanks for such an enjoyable article.

Blogger VPowell6 said...

I realize that I need to stop weighing myself EVERY morning because sometimes it is just not going to say what I want. Once a week will be good enough for me. Thanks Lysa for reminding me that I am not a number on a scale to God, my family, friends and others that I shine the light of Jesus for. Love, Vicki

Blogger Healthier One said...

I read an article this morning which said that Neuropeptides can cause us to have weight gain. Where do they come from? Apparently, stress!! I've been on intensive weight loss goals before where I've really watched my weight, I've been to the gym 3 days and done weights and the other days I've either walked outside or done a 40 minute spell on the treadmill - for 3 months I did this - you guessed it - no weight loss! I mean, no doubt I gained muscle; but I ended up with heaps of disappointment. At the time I never checked the STRESS level I was operating under. I think when you set out on an intensive goal you do put yourself under stress particularly to perform - but I never took the time out to 'become still and centred'. Hope this helps ladies!

Blogger Oh Dear said...

Thanks Healthier One. That helps me!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Articles About...
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits