Little Comforts of Refreshment
By: Lysa TerKeurst

"A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men."
Roald Dahl,
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"


We have a special tradition in our home of an afternoon treat. Now, a nutritionist may or may not agree with me, but I think it's a most heart healthy habit. Not that our treats are always that healthy, mind you. These treats are "heart" healthy for how they create moments of joy in the midst of busy schedules, projects that are due, activities to attend and chores to be done. It's a little burst of comfort that I, as a mom, delight in giving my children. It says, I love you …

I think about ways to make you happy … and I consider it a privilege to enjoy a treat with you.

I remember as a little girl my mom making ginger snap cookies for me. Oh how these cookies made me happy. To this day, the smell of ginger makes me smile. If these little treats made me so happy as a child, why do they have to stop? I mean, why is it that I sometimes think motherhood is all about what I do for others and never stop to think of the wonderful benefits of treating myself?

Yes, I think it is the best kind of refreshment to let the Lord fill you. But, just like giving treats to my kids makes me happy, I think our Heavenly Father would like us to consider things that make us happy as a treat from Him.

There has been so much talk about the difference between joy and happiness in the Christian world that many of us shy away from happiness. Now granted, none of the things on my list provide me with lasting joy, but they sure can lighten a heavy moment of feeling drained. So, why not make a list of things that really make you feel happy? Then the next time you are feeling a little drained put together a care package for yourself and thank God for His sweet treats. Here are some of the things on my list:

  • Cinnamon Altoids Gum

  • Black gel pen-medium point

  • A candle that smells of the season

  • New pair of white socks

  • Lemon flavored Propel

  • Brownies from a box mix

  • Dryer sheets-fresh spring scent

  • Inspirational CD

  • Cup of White Chocolate Mocha, skim, no whip, no foam, extra hot


  • Thank you God for these simple treats that make me happy. Help me give myself permission to receive these treats as a simple reason to give thanks to You and make my heart happy.

    Another important and practical thing I do for refreshment is to make sure I always have something to look forward to. Maybe it is a date with my husband, a night out with the girls, having time to work on my scrapbook, getting my hair done in the salon, or even something as simple as taking a bubble bath after the kids are in bed. Sometimes it is a bigger thing like a vacation or getting to shop for something I've saved up to buy. But whatever it is, having something to look forward to is the little glimmer of better things that gets me over the hump of hard things. It's just the pick-up my heart needs when life seems full of mundane chores, whiney complaints, and yet another mess to pick up. So look up, look forward, and put something on the horizon that will make you smile.

    Finally, rid yourself of the "Hoarder Disorder!" You've heard the old expression of Save the Best for Last. Well, I think we do too much of this and never just savor what we have. Think about that candle that cost a little too much but you just loved the way it smelled. So, you bought it but only burn it for company. No, no, no! Go get it right now and burn it because you like the way it smells. Just burn it for you.

    A friend of mine recently shared with me that she was at a scrap booking party where she shared her hesitancy to use her "good" stickers. A lady quipped back at her, "You've got hoarder disorder and you need to get over it. Pull those stickers out right now and use them. What in the world are you really saving them for?"

    How true! Do we really think when we are old and gray that there is going to be some kind of contest at the retirement home? The announcer steps up on the rickety stage and pulls the squeaky microphone close, "Whoever has the most unburned, good smelling candles gets an extra bingo card."

    I don't want an extra bingo card 50 years from now. I want to be a happy person. I want to be a mother with a smile on her face. I want to teach my kids that it doesn't mean you are a worldly person if you happen to find a little joy in the things of this world that bring your heart comfort.

    So, be refreshed my friend. Put together a little care package of happy things for yourself. Put something on your calendar to look forward to and don't save your best for last.

    Labels: ,



    1 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    This is my first time on your site(I've looked, but finally found it!!!). And what a blessing it is.. Its great to hear of enjoying the everyday little things that we love and have all around us... The worldly view of a care package or a pick me up would have been something a lot bigger that cost a lot more, It is nice to read about REAL people enjoying the all the gifts that God has blessed us with and not just the huge things.... Thank you and God bless

    Post a Comment

    Home

    Site Search
    Articles About...
    Previous Posts
    Archives
    Miscellaneous
    Credits